Peacemakers offer support and training to build a peer mediation service in your school.
Children are trained as mediators to help resolve conflicts on the playground.
Contents of this page
Peer mediators are usually Yr 5 or 6 pupils who are trained to mediate disputes on the playground. A school mediation service is run by pupils, supported by a member of staff. We train up to 24 pupils over 3 days, in line with the Best Practice Guidelines recommended by the Peer Mediation Network. Lunchtime Supervisors are invited to part of the training. The most successful mediation schemes involve the whole school and are supported by senior leaders, parents and governors.
- Support pack for the school to help prepare pupils and staff for mediation.
- Planning meeting to talk through the process and what is involved.
- Training for 24 pupils over 3 full days [this may be reduced to 2 days in schools where pupils have been involved in a Building Peacebuilders course at school].
- Peer Mediation Coordinator included in the whole training [more are welcome].
- Lunchtime supervisors invited to part of the training [usually an hour].
- Optional staff briefing to introduce the service to the wider staff team.
- Certificates for trained mediators.
- Follow up session plans for the Coordinator to support the mediation team once we leave.
What are the benefits?
- Staff spend less time responding to incidents during and after lunch.
- Staff have a greater understanding of students’ experiences and relationships.
- Improved student behaviour and opportunities for classroom dialogue.
- Children develop confidence, social and communication skills.
- Children develop skills for life.
- Children experience the satisfaction of helping their peers.
- Children have an opportunity to resolve conflicts without involving adults.
- Children have the chance to have their point of view heard and understood.
- Children get the chance to find a solution that works for them.
- There is a more peaceful school environment.
- Schools consistently report that mediation appreciably reduces the amount of staff-time responding to student conflicts, while the mediators themselves enjoy the responsibility.
3 day Peer Mediation Training for 24 pupils costs £1200. Bursaries are available. Contact Libbs Packer, Peacemakers Schools’ Co-ordinator at Libbs@peacemakers.org.uk
More Peacemaker Services
For Primary Schools: peacemakers.org.uk/primary-schools
For Secondary Schools: peacemakers.org.uk/secondary-schools
For Special Educational Needs: peacemakers.org.uk/special-educational-needs